If you have an XC90 and your headlight is broken, you’ll have a surprise by calling the dealership. They will want at least $150 for the bulb, and this is without the installation.
If you go to a local store like advanced auto part, they will charge you about $100 for one bulb. Still too expensive.
Amazon has the SYLVANIA D1S High Intensity Discharge (HID) Bulb for $46. This is the bulb used in XC90 with BI-XENON headlights. It is called BI-XENON because it has both low beam and high beam. It’s totally worth it, and super easy to change.
So look for the Sylvania D1S type on amazon. And here is how to do the magic:
– open your trunk
– Pull gently the headlamp out. You will see the “main” electrical wire being connect to the car. Gently pull up the red lock, and pull the cable toward you. If you cannot pull the red lock, you will see that when pushed down, it has its end visible at the bottom. You can either use your fingers to push it up. I had to use a screw driver to push up, then was able to use my fingers to pull it all the way up.
– This is the BI-XENON bulb with a lock mechanism that you can see on the side.
– Turn the lock mechanism counterclockwise, it will end up like this:
– Then gently pull the pull straight forward. The goal is to be able to reach both side of the connectors at the bottom
– On each side of the connector, you will see a little pin in the middle. One side can be pulled with your fingers. For the other side, you might have to use a small flat screw driver. I pulled one side first and very gently moved the connector down a little bit , then did the other side.
Once the connector is disconnected, you can directly put the new bulb in the headlamp case. I had to slightly incline it toward the top, so the bottom could be locked first. Then I gently pushed the top to straighten everything.
– All you have to do is secure the bulb using the locking mechanism, plug back the connector, and you are all done !